George Sadler – Blender animation

This is a short animation of my name I made following the same tutorials that I have used for previous Blender projects. This was surprisingly easy once you worked out how locking certain frames kept the dissolving blocks at different sizes, however this time I found myself working with rigid mesh’s more as the dissolving text need something to bounce of. Another big surprise for me also was the time and space it took to render. A good couple of hours later on a peer’s computer, and this was ready to watch, my poor macbook pro I assume couldn’t handle rendering this in 1080p..

Exploding planet

My next venture in blender led me to a more advanced piece of work, an ‘exploding planet’. This was a steady step up from the mug, which taught me a great deal in adding nodes, particle systems, and adding effects such as ‘cell’. I spent a lot of time going between layers on this project since the middle of the planet needs to give of an exploding effect. This ment that I would be required to highlight the middle of the planet, copy it, and then move it to a separate layer. This would allow you to increase the size of the middle, thus giving the planet an impression that it is exploding.

ImageImageImageImage

 

Blender – 3D mug

So after waiting for my new mouse to arrive in the post, I jumped straight on to Blender to start learning the tools, eager to produce my first piece of work. I went for a nice, and clean designed following a tutorial on youtube. This was a great way start as it got me used to working in cycle blender, editing mode, adding mesh’s together and learning tricks when it comes to rendering (clamping for instance).

The process took roughly half an hour, while the rendering took a mere 5 minutes.

.ImageImageImage, w

Kinetic typography

This was probably the hardest tool I’ve had to try and learn so far. After working through multiple blocks on the way (wrong frame, pixelated text before render, unexplainable disappearance of audio) I finally managed to put together a 15 second clip (which lasts 54 seconds still). Admittedly, once rendered you can appreciate that after a few months of learning AE, it could become beneficial, however for me personally I felt it was to easy to get lost. I was encountering problems that I hadn’t caused, which led me to spend more time on fixing things rather then creating.

I used a short version of Morgan Freeman’s speech on Black History month, because I wanted to try something a little more bolder without any background noise interfering with the dialogue. I cut at the point, where the interviewer becomes dumbfounded, and lost for an awnser.

Overall, I could see myself working on after effects in the future, however I would definitely take a different route in learning as I felt kinetic typography was quite an advanced step for a beginner, something that was also proven when searching for tutorials on how to create kinetic typography (Most would say at the beginning that basic knowledge of AE would be required, shortcuts etc.).

Photography project – George

Photography project - George

We where given the task of wandering around alone, or group with the goal of taking a selection of pictures, which looked like letters. A task that was surprisingly difficult when you have two G’s in your name, however I did manage to find two, one lower and one upper. I used my camera phone for this project, seeing as I have no high quality camera in Bournemouth, however I did prefer using my phone as it seemed to fit the scenario of walking around the town with you’re friends finding cool and interesting objects.

A peculiar project, I must admit that academically I didn’t find it that rewarding, although this was an enjoyable task.

Flash Animation – Mini project

One of the tasks included in our mini projects was to produce a short animation demonstrating our ability in Adobe Flash. Prior to this animation I had never used Flash before, and I found it surprisingly challenging considering the reward back was very minimal. Nevertheless I produced what I was able to in the time given, and think this animation demonstrates my basic ability to incorporate existing vectors, to pull the layers apart, then to animate each part of the logo in a different way.